About Bauer and Wiles Memorial Fountain
Australia’s only outbreak of the pneumonic plague was in Maryborough in 1905. This fountain, situated to the Lennox Street side of City Hall, is a memorial to the two Nurses Cecilia Bauer and Rose Wiles who courageously volunteered to nurse victims of the plague. Whilst looking after their patients both nurses fell ill and died from the deadly disease.
Located in the grounds of City Hall is the Bauer and Wiles Memorial Fountain is a memorial to the two nurses, Cecilia Bauer and Rose Wiles, who courageously volunteered to nurse victims of the pneumonic plague outbreak in Maryborough in 1905. A small brick ramp leads from the front of the building onto the grassed lawn area of the building and the fountain. The fountain is located on the lawn which is hard packed.