Mural Trail

Be inspired by Maryborough's latest tourist attraction by walking the new Mural Trail and checking out the artistic gems adorning buildings in the CBD, telling the quirky and serious stories of the city's colourful past.

The Mural Trail, launched in 2015, now has 30 murals and installations, with more to come. In the space of three years, it has become one of Australia's most notable mural cities.  Start your journey in Kent Street at the Maryborough Visitor Information Centre in City Hall and learn about the baking of the historic Peace Cake and how the trail began.

Then use the below map to choose your favourites or walk the full trail where you will find a short story on each piece of art and its significance to the city's early development.

The trail is a flat walk over eight city blocks covering a distance of about two kilometeres. Take a break at the many coffee and speciality shops, parks and places to relax along the way.

Discover the murals on the trail

1. Peace Cake Sculpture

Sculptors: Elizabeth Hersey & Marni Koster
Location: Maryborough City Hall


This sculpture is the start of the trail and sits in a  cabinet inside the Maryborough Visitor Information Centre. It is a replica of the original Peace Cake made by bakers Stellmach and Sons, for the Mayoral Victory Ball held at the Town Hall on 29 April 1919 to celebrate the end of World War I.

2. Community Canvas

Artist: Akos Juhasz
Location: City Hall, 388 Kent St.

The community canvas, now hanging in Maryborough City Hall has provided an opportunity for everyone, with or
without artistic skills, to create an enormous painting about love, forgiveness, respect, honor, family, peace, empathy,
friendship and happiness – creating a vision for a beautiful future for our community.

3. Brave Lexie and Foxie

Artist: Brian Tisdall
Location: Cnr Alice & Lennox Streets

This mural, placed poignantly on the wall of Maryborough Fire Station, recognises the bravery of 12-year-old Lex Casperson, who with his dog “Foxie” saved his 2 brothers and sister from a house fire on 28 July 1927. The children were alone and after being awoken by his dog, with the house well alight, Lex helped his siblings escape through the smoke.

4. The Aviator

Artist: Alps Juhasz, designed by Brian Tisdall
Location: Side wall of Dimmeys, 202 Adelaide Street.

An officer and aeronautics instructor in the RAAF, Samuel was a foundation member and president of the Maryborough Aero Club. He had a lifelong interest in the restoration of veteran cars and was the Queensland winner of the Round Australia Redex Final in 1953. Samuel managed the family dealership for 50 years and held honorary positions in many local organisations.

5. Adding hope to the journey

Artist: Nigel Zschech
Location: 185 Adelaide Street.

Only 25 years after the worldmovement was started by Chicago lawyer Paul Harris in 1905, the founding father
of Rotary in Maryborough, Stewart Corser, launched the first local club in 1930 and became its inaugural president. This mural, at the time it was painted in 2015, marked 85 years of Rotary in Maryborough and 110 years internationally.

6. The Whip Cracker

Artist: Shanay Scarlet
Location: On side wall, 144 Bazaar Street.

Barbara Dalton was part of the Dalton Family Whip Cracking Show which performed at the Maryborough Markets. A whip cracker herself, she would put a rolled up leaf in her mouth and let her husband and one of her sons crack it in half with a whip… and she never suffered any broken noses! Barb died in 2015 and is remembered as a generous and gracious woman.

7. Prime Minister Fisher

Artist: Brian Tisdall
Location: 144 Bazaar Street
.

A founding member of the Labor Party in Queensland, Andrew Fisher held the seat of Wide Bay from 1901 to 1915. He served as Australia’s Prime Minister and Treasurer for three terms from 1908 until 1915 and committed troops to fight in World War 1.

8. The legends of Moonie Jarl

Artist: Fiona Foley
Location: Maryborough Library, 127 Bazaar Street.

The Legends of Moonie Jarl, published in 1964 by Jacaranda Press, is the first book written and illustrated by indigenous Australians. Maryborough-born siblings Wilf Reeves and Olga Miller tell the Butchulla creation stories of K’gari (Fraser Island) – how the island and the birds, animals and plants were created – as well as teaching children the important values of respect and good manners.

9. Man in the moon

Artist: Terry Tomlin
Location: Maryborough Library, 127 Bazaar St

Author of the Mary Poppins book series, Pamela Lyndon Travers, was born Helen Lyndon Goff in the former Australian Joint Stock Bank in Maryborough’s Central Business District on 9 August 1899. The location is marked by
a bronze statue of the beloved character and pedestrian lights featuring fun Mary Poppins silhouettes.

10. Galactic Horse

Artist: Monika Bayar
Location: 127 Bazaar St

Doubling down on the city’s link to the world’s most famous, fictional nanny, the second of Maryborough’s three Mary Poppins murals is also at the library. Avid readers of P.L. Travers’ Mary Poppins Comes Back, will remember the horse as part of a galactic circus. Mary Poppins takes Jane and Michael to visit the night sky where the animals were made of stars instead of fur or feathers.

11. The Brumbies

Artist: David Houghton
Location: 182 Bazaar Street

Horses and cattle on the Fraser Coast were often turned out to roam freely in times of drought. With others that escaped the muster, they would join the wild horses called brumbies. Some well-bred horses were also “bushed” in the 1970s to live out their lives when thoroughbred racing was abandoned 40 years ago. 

12. Comet Man

Artist: Nigel Zschech
Location: 175 Bazaar Street

Once the saying was “only in America” but after the exploits of Maryborough astronomer Mervyn Jones, who found an unnamed comet  on 1 July 1967 simply scanning the western sky using binoculars, you could be forgiven for saying “only in Maryborough”. Jones quickly switched to using his telescope when he saw the mystery object which was eventually named the Mitchell-Jones-Gerber Comet.

13. The girl and the croc

Artist: Dan Krause
Location: Cnr Bazaar and Horsburgh Lane

A photograph of a girl sitting on a 4m crocodile at the turn of the century was the inspiration for this street art project. It’s believed the photo was taken after a crocodile was shot in the Mary River by Walter McIndoe and displayed by the Cran family at their Iindah Sugar Plantation in 1903. Mclndoe is said to have fired at the croc from his River Road property causing it to launch itself into the air and disappear.

14. Mary River Turtle

Artist: Michelle Valdivia
Location: Horsburgh Lane

An endangered species, the Mary River Turtle was illegally collected and sold throughout the 1960s and 70s as pet “penny turtles”. The turtle, one of the largest in Australia with its upper shell growing to 40cm, occurs in the Mary River from Gympie to the tidal reaches just upstream from Maryborough. It is also found in Tinana Creek upstream from Talegalla Weir and may exist in the deeper holes of the Mary below Kenilworth.

15. Red Baron

Artist: Benjamin Higgins
Location: Horsburgh Lane

This mural does not depict the World War I German fighter pilot but a flying ace of a different kind. The Red Baron is the common name for the Urothemis Aliena species of dragonfly, found along the Mary River and in the region’s lagoons and ponds. Medium-sized dragonflies, the Red Barons grow to about 45mm in length and have a wingspan of about 85mm.

16. The Ferry

Artist: Kerry Nicholson
Location: 115 Richmond Street

The first known ferry service to Granville was a hand-operated punt which ran from the bottom of March Street called Victoria Ferry - owned by Stewart Gordon and his son William. A similar ferry started operating from Guava Street in the area where the Granville Bridge was later built. This ferry was replaced by the steam ferry, Alert, an iron punt, painted here, which was built by the Vulcan foundry and provided a 24-hour service.

17. The Dong Sisters

Artist: Dan Krause
Location: Cnr Ellena & Richmond Streets

Ellen and Maud Dong were the daughters of a couple of Maryborough’s earliest Chinese migrants who arrived in the 1870s, originally in search of gold. The women, born in their parents’ home in Queen Street, took over the family business selling vegetables, plants and seeds to the Maryborough community in 1915 and ran it until 1956. Ellen died in 1993 aged 101 and Maud passed away the following year aged 95, having spent all of their lives in Maryborough.

18. Milking time

Artist: Brian Tisdall
Location: Cnr March & Kent streets

The building featured in this mural, known locally as The Butter Factory, was constructed in 1910 on land purchased by the Maryborough Co-operative Dairy Association. For the next 80 years it produced cream, milk, butter and cheese for the surrounding district. During these decades milkmen went out in trucks to meet customers who filled their glass jugs from the tap on the tank.

19. Courageous Care

Artist: Craig Winter
Location: 354 Kent Street

Australia’s only outbreak of pneumonic plague is the subject of this mural honouring nurses Cecelia Bauer and Rose Adelaide Wiles who sacrificed their lives caring for the afflicted family of a wharf worker in June 1905. Absent father, Richard O’Connell, rented a cottage at the corner of Sussex and Pallas streets and his seven children slept on hessian bags on the floor, often scavenging for food. The bags for sleeping came from ships that passed through the docks and it is thought rats carried the plague which spread through the O’Connell house.

20. The Brewer

Artist: Nigel Zscheck
Location: 278 Kent Street

This mural tells the story of Polish migrant Louis Emmanuel Steindl, who was born in 1851 and arrived in Australia in 1871. Trained by his father, Louis opened the Bavarian Brewery in Granville in 1878. Three years later, he took on a partner and expanded his business, producing 120 hogsheads of beer a week (one hogshead is about 242 litres). He died in 1913 with a considerable fortune.

21. The Goat Race

Artist: Patrick Phillips
Location: 360 Kent Street

Queensland was the place for goats in the early 1900s and they were used in races, as a source of food, for their skin and to keep the grass tidy. The cartoon-style mural depicts a major goat race at the Shamrock Hotel in 1900. An estimated 600 people turned out to watch the spectacle. Apparently, Gallagher’s Billy won the double after a
vastly entertaining afternoon, highlighted by several goat carts veering off course or tumbling over and dumping their drivers in the gutter.

22. The Domestic Front

Sculpter: Lisa Baier
Location: 425 Kent Street

All peoples face unimaginable human suffering and sacrifice during war. This sculpture was created to commemorate the Anzac Centenary in 2016. The work reminds us of the tremendous fortitude, commitment and support provided by women domestically during those challenging times – the women who “soldiered on” at home in Australia in the face of wartime adversity. From a distance the woman appears to be a high ranking military official but on closer observation, her uniform consists of domestic objects including a colander for a helmet and sides of a cheese grater are used for epaulets.

23. Out of work

Artist: Patrick Phillips
Location: Access via Strong's Arcade, Adelaide Street

During the Great Depression in 1935, 68-year-old miner Robert Brown packed his swag and headed south looking for work after failing to find a job in Maryborough. He mostly did fencing work on stations and made a barrow to carry his possessions. Robert walked to Lightning Ridge and is said to have found an opal worth 150 pounds but it was stolen. He then worked his way to Canberra where he was denied an aged pension. He reached Melbourne in March 1936, before making his way to South Australia.

 

24. St Mary of the Cross

Artist: Patrick Phillips
Location: St Mary's Church, 271 Adelaide Street

In 1870, the Sisters of St Joseph, a religious order founded by Mary MacKillop, established a school and residence in Adelaide Street, the beginning of the Catholic Church’s formal education and religious administration in Maryborough. Mary MacKillop was born in Melbourne in 1842 and was declared Australia’s first saint, canonised St Mary of the Cross on 17 October 2010 at St Peter’s Basilica, Rome. The arrival of the first parish priest Father Paul Tissot, who built the first Maryborough Catholic Church, is depicted in the mural.

25. Our world

Artist: Nigel Zschech
Location: 133 Wharf Street

The indigenous tribes living along the banks of the Mary River used many names for the waterway but the Butchulla people called it Mooraboocoola. First settlers knew it as Wide Bay River. In September 1847, Governor Sir Charles Fitzroy formally named the river in honour of his wife, Lady Mary Lennox, who was killed in a carriage accident three months later. Saddened by her death and a little over a year later in January 1849, in a further link to Lady Mary, Sir Charles also directed that the name of Wide Bay Village be changed to Maryborough. The mural symbolises the link between Lady Mary and the naming of the river and city.

26. The ladies of the exchange

Artist: Michael Wortel
Location: 133 Wharf Street

The first country telephone exchange in Australia was opened in Maryborough in 1882. This mural on a brick wall facing Queens Park is more contemporary, showing telephonists working the manual exchange in the Post Office in 1958. The building has been home to the automatic telephone services since 1960. The mural meets the objective of the mural committee to create art that features not only the famous but everyday Maryborough people who have played a part in the city’s history.

27. Wharf Street, 1888

Artist: Terry Tomlin
Location: 164 Richmond Street

This mural depicts Wharf Street as it was in 1888 during Maryborough’s boom period as a migrant port of entry. The great sailing ship, Eastminster, had arrived on 29 January carrying the bells for St Paul’s Church of England bell tower paid for by Edgar Aldridge as a memorial to his wife, Maria. The three-masted, iron ship (background left, at Walker’s Wharf) made numerous trips to Australia and New Zealand carrying immigrants but on her return passage to Newcastle she was lost with all hands sometime after leaving Woody Island on 17 February 1888.

28. Mary Poppins

Artist: Steve Falco
Location: 147 Richmond Street

This mural, based on the story of Mary Poppins written by P.L. Travers, takes us on a journey in a make-believe world. See if you can spot the Mary Poppins’ characters? A cherry tree with 17 cherries represents the street address, 17 Cherry Tree Lane, where Mary works for the Banks family. There is the red cow which couldn’t stop dancing and Bert creating his pavement paintings, which transform into a ribbon shape as Bert and Mary step into the painting and have a tea party. Hidden in the background is a carousel. If you look closely you will find the compass that Mary and the children found, along with the four animals they met on their quick trip around the world.

29. Tubby Clayton

Artist: Akos Juhasz
Location: Maryborough Military & Colonial Museum

While serving in Belgium as an army chaplain, Maryborough-born Reverend Philip Thomas Byard “Tubby” Clayton co-founded Talbot House, (known as Toc H) as a unique place of rest and sanctuary for British troops during World War I. The sanctuary’s ethos was friendship, service, fairmindedness and the Kingdom of God, and a notice inside urged visitors and all who entered to abandon rank.

30. The battle of Long Tan

Artist: Patrick Phillips
Location: Maryborough Military & Colonial Museum

This mural commemorates the battle against the North Vietnamese Army and Viet Cong by 108 soldiers of Delta Company 6RAR at Long Tan on the afternoon of the 18 August 1966. Outnumbered 20 to one the Australian soldiers were saved from being overrun by artillery support and the crews of two helicopters from Nui Dat who braved poor conditions to drop ammunition to the beleaguered troops using helicopters that were originally transporting Little Pattie, Col Joye and the Joy Boys to entertain the troops.

176